Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Speed Excites Me: Part 2


Before we jump into the conclusion of Rocky’s interview, I would like to thank the folks at Motorbooks for helping me set up this interview. The photos were taken by Horst Rosler. Next time we will review Rocky’s book, Flat Out.

Stress Reduction

“The bike is so complicated the crew is working on it all the time,” said Rocky, after being asked how the Akatiff team handles stress. “As for me, the stress part of it, I am just out there to drive the thing. I am concerned with hitting my mark. As fast as I can. If I was afraid to do it, I would be the wrong guy to be in it. The speed excites me. I feel comfortable doing what I’m doing. A thrilling thing that only a handful of people have the opportunity to do.”

Rocky continued, “I’ll tell you something else I do each season to get ready for Bonneville. I do rock climbing. It doesn’t have anything to do with speed. It has to do with getting comfortable with being on the edge. It is a focus thing. I’m not real good with heights. There is something about the challenge I like.”

Different Directions

Rocky is also an aspiring novelist and working hard at a writing career. “I do a lot of writing now for the magazines, motorcycle stuff. I have a couple fiction books that I’ve written. To be honest with you the problem is the economy. All the publishing industry wants right now is a sure thing. They are looking for authors with proven success. In the fiction area I am an unknown. I am looking for someone to take a chance with me. To date I haven’t found that. I am trying to get my foot in the door.”

His books don’t deal with the motorcycle community, as one would expect. Rocky is trying to spread his options around a bit. “Motorcycling is a nitch market, whereas the fiction market is huge. It’s like racing. I am determined. I will keep pounding on doors until I do get into that market.” With that kind of fortitude I am sure he will.

Along the Writing Vein

What about a sequel to Flat Out? A 400mph final chapter? It is alluded to both on his website and in the book. “While I was still on the salt there was a couple out there that was intrigued by what was going on. We had just set the record. They weren’t involved in racing. He asked me: What do you do now? Do you just keep going faster until you kill yourself? He wasn’t being rude or anything. Curious. It kind of hit home. Mike and I believe our machine will go 400mph. We just don’t want to push it. If this record stands for many years there won’t be an attempt at it. If it were to get broken this year I am sure Mike would want to take another look. We aren’t going to make that decision until the record is broken.”

As we talked about the book, Flat Out, Rocky said, “I wish I could add a final chapter to it.”

No comments: